Wednesday, June 10, 2015

34: Pakin Part 1 of 3

My Pahpa dismanteling the part of the house that was local thatching. Also showing off his beautiful skirt.

 My favorite picture of Jayheart so far. He proceeded to smash and break this snorkel the next day.
 Paulino and Kotaro burning the hair off the piglet they slaughtered. Manit? Style.
 I learned how to weave a coconut leaf into a mat like this for roof thatching. My Nohno started me off on this one, and I did the rest. Three guesses which side is mine…
 Jayheart’s classic three-fingered Style. I think he is trying to say Phantom of the Opera.
 Action shot from making the shower house from local materials. I was fascinated!
 Tadaaaaa! The inside: a bucket.
Our house on Osetik – my family says Pakin is superior to Pohnpei in almost every way, except for the house. We actually “fortified” it the second day with more tin roofing cause we had lots of rain and wind during the night. Note the part we re-thatched, previous renditions of water catchment tanks, the free roaming pig, and the outside “table” – excellent for stashing swimming stuff and “drying” clothes (nothing was ever really dry), and the barbecue (the metal barrel – you put wire mesh fence on it). I’m pretty sure most of the non-local material is stuff that was washed ashore, not deliberately brought from Pohnpei.




 Lobster breakfast! My Nohno is always super nice about opening lobster and crabs for me so it’s easier for me to eat
 This is the seaward (non-lagoon) side of Osetik. The reason you see so many bare coral rocks is that a) there have been unusually low low tides (my guess is climate change and El Niño) and b) there has been severe erosion of the sand, which lays the coral rocks underneath bare (definitely climate change and sea level rise)   


 Donas Ponopon (island donuts) made by my host sister Manit, she’s the expert. For some reason Nohno insists on slicing them up and putting peanut butter inside for me and Jayheart (baby + foreigner food?). The scene: the elevated concrete foundation of our house with the kitchen area in the background.
 When I wasn’t swimming, I was chilling in one of the hammocks (Kotaro built this one for me!), often drinking coconut, and writing on my book in the fantastic Moleskin notebook Kate gave me. I have about half of it full by now and it’s so much fun to write with a fountain pen instead of typing!
 Manit pounding shofar (coconut meat). Very old coconuts don’t have water in them anymore, but a thick layer of copra on the inside of the shell (the generic “coconut” material and also what is used to make coconut milk and coconut oil), and then at the core there is the coconut meat from which the coconut germinates. It’s fibrous, a little bit watery, not very sweet and slightly green on the outside.
 
 Local “ice cream” (pennen nüh) is made by taking either a young coconut and mixing the soft copra with condensed milk and sugar, or pounding the coconut meat and add the same ingredients.
 Me and my Nohno on the bench (made by machete) that day. Note the bigs in the background O.O


No comments:

Post a Comment