Sunday, June 21, 2015

45: My Work Hours


Ok, and this is random, but it was fascinating to me. This is how people pay their utilities here: it’s like a gas station, but you purchase prepaid credit that you then punch into your meter at home. The meter has a happy face LED and a fill-up-your-credit-or-else LED.

So now to the actual title of this post: As some of you may or may not have noticed, I have a lot of time to be on facebook, write blog posts, check my email etc. while I’m at work at my internship. That’s because most of my work turns out not to be at the office, but outside. Aside from the workshops and community consultations I mentioned, a lot of it is actually in my village. Talking to my host dad, my extended host family, and of course at the sakau bar.
Just to give an example, yesterday I spent 4h talking to community members, who are actually pretty high government officials. Tony whose wife runs the bar works at the FSM Office of Environment and Emergency Management (super relevant!), Gilleon works at the FSM budget office coordinating all the foreign aid (really smart guy with a lot of foresight), Marciano works at the Environmental Protection Agency, and many more people (read: old men) who are super knowledgeable about what is happening on the island. I learn a ton, and we also came up with several ideas of how to make the Pakin community more resilient.
That’s stuff you can’t learn in a classroom, and I love it! Working this closely with communities exactly why I came here for!

No comments:

Post a Comment