Wednesday, June 10, 2015

35: Pakin Part 2 of 3

 This is Friday night at the community workshop for the review of the Fisheries Management Plan. My Pahpa is killing it with his introductions and presentation (he’s very active and very respected), also having me introduce myself in Mortlockese. I actually got applause from everyone for being able to speak that much Mortlockese (the local language on Pohnpei is Mortlockese, but they also speak Pohnpeian. Most foreigners learn some Pohnpeian, but apparently learning Mortlockese is very rare. Snaps to my host dad for teaching me).

Note in the far left corner leaning against the pillar: That’s the spot in the nahs reserved for chiefs – he’s the chief from an entirely different community on Pohnpei, but they still had him sit there, and the school principle was designated as his “guard” meaning he sits facing the chief for the entire evening, keeping watch.


 Taken from Nikahlap (main island of Pakin), with Osetik (where we stayed) in the distance, and the mountains of Pohnpei on the horizon – my three most important islands in one picture!

 Trick question: How many chairs in this picture? 10. Yes, people just sit on concrete blocks. In general, locals here seem to have have tougher but cheeks and insensitive feet (they can just walk on gravel and coral where I would cut the hell out of my soles. I think that’s also the secret to climbing a coconut).

 Baby coconut palm. I took this cause of the fence around it – to protect it from the free roaming pigs.

 The one and only local canoe I’ve seen so far – people use motorboats all the time.

 Yours truly with a gigantic and super heavy shell.

 My host brother going out to spear fish in the lagoon at sunset O.O

Sunset over Nikahlap, with two corals peaking out of the lagoon at low tide.
 That’s what it looks like when Kaneki is done with a palm tree. Buzz cut for local thatching and all the big coconuts shaken down for drinking.



 Coconut Crab! My host sister Manit (also 24 like me, and married to Kotaro, technically my host parent’s niece, but they raised her as a daughter) and my host brother Franson (technically nephew, but whatever) holding a live coconut crab.

 This picture has it all. The local bench, machete on the ground, Franson grinding copra out of the shell to make coconut milk+oil, Kaneki being goofy and spilling I think that’s coconut milk on him, Marwin enjoying the show.

 On the last day I had my second vegetarian meal, yay! And super tasty. It’s “Rice Arring” which is just rice, soy sauce, and fresh (like, actually freshly squeezed by my very own Nohno) coconut milk on top. Nohno says it’s how they spiced up rice when the US gave food aid (dunno when that was), and it’s super tasty. I need to experiment more with coconut milk as a condiment when I get back home.

 Here’s the gang (only Kotaro and Detor missing) everyone except for Nohno doing “free style” – from left to right we have Pahpa, me, my “biological” host sister Tarla who permanently lives with us, then Manit, Marwin (note the machete), Lukein, Nohno, Jing-Chan, Lauria, Paulino (the family member who permanently lives on Osetik, holding a germinated coconut), then in the first row Detor’s son, Sanka, Kaneki, and Franson.
 
 No filter. I believe John Stewart used the term “bluer than a smurf’s anus.”

No comments:

Post a Comment