Sunday, June 21, 2015

43: The Daily Grind

 Here’s a brief outline of a typical day (of which there aren’t that many, actually). Because this post does not come with pictures, I’ve thrown in some sexy coral pictures.

4:20 AM: The roosters start to crow. Yes, I’ve timestamped this, they are always punctual. We have two roosters, one with a clear voice and one who never quite gets the cock-a-doodle-doo right, it’s more like a croaking cough. Think Carlotta in Phantom of the opera when he bewitches her voice.
 6:10 AM: My alarm goes off. “Cheerleader” by OMI, great song, forever in your debt, Sameera!

6:30ish, usually 7:00 AM though: I hear Nohno making breakfast and get up.

7:30 AM: Shower time.

8:00 AM: Pahpa drives nono to school (she’s a teacher like him) and me to work. This particular time is Island Time, so can me anytime between 8 and 9. Anecdote on Island Time: Back on Pakin in the morning of the second day of our workshop, Jason (American deputy director of CSP, who arrived at the same time I did, but is struggling much more with the culture here) asks: “So when does the workshop start?” Kesdy: “at 9.” Jason: “What time is it now?” Kesdy shrugs: “Selino, what time is it?” Selino looks at watch: “mohm diwau.” Kesdy translates: “before 9.” Julius tries not to burst out in laughter.

5:00 PM: Pahpa picks me up. Again, Island Time, so this can be any time between 4:30 and 6pm. On our way home, we do some shopping either at the local market (mostly for tuna and reef fish), get ready made local food sold at every street corner in Kolonia, and go to an actual store for bread, rice, canned meat and other stuff.

??:00 PM: dinner. I never look at the time. The roosters do their evening crowing and retreat up into the trees for the night. Usually after dinner, I sit on the porch and practice my Mortlockese with Pahpa, discuss about all the projects he is working on and how I might be able to help, write more of my book, play with Jayheart, sometimes watch the insanely dramatic Pilipino TV show with my host sisters.

9:30 PM: Check the bathroom for cockroaches (since we came back from Pakin, 3 cockroaches have moved in to the bathroom) and take evening shower. Hang towel on my room fan so it will be dry in the morning.


10:00 PM: go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment