Sunday, June 14, 2015

38: Pakin (Pearl) Expo

Ok, it was the Pakin Expo, but the pearls were the big deal. The Pakin community established an oyster farming project in the lagoon, and they also do their own designing, carving and polishing of the half pearls to make absolutely stunning necklaces. This is me at home, working on the poster with my Pahpa until late in the night (not too late to go out for sakau afterwards though).    
The poster session during the Expo – note the man in the red T-shirt, that’s the chief of Pakin, Sonirek.    
Me and Pahpa enjoying the fruits of our labor! And of course I’m wearing one of the necklaces I just bought^^    
So the Expo was at the Spanish Wall Park, and this was in the background. I feel there is a story behind religious mixing to be discovered… or someone just slapped a cross behind this Buddha and declared him a convert?    

No comments:

Post a Comment