Thursday, June 18, 2015

42: No

I was explicitly warned never to say the word “no” by my Peace Corps volunteer friend Erin. Luckily I hadn’t at that point (ever since Japan I’ve learned that that word might not be used as lightly as in German/English). In fact, I have never used the word “ahp” in Mortlockese or “sohr” in Pohnpeian. The only times when people say something close to “no” is when they ask shop owners “do you have X today?” and they say “sohte” (which means something along the lines of “nothing”).

According to Erin, if you want to send a clear “no” message, you say “maybe next time” which is how she got rid of unpleasant suitors in a bar. I said that once during week 2, unknowingly, when they offered me bettle nut, and lo behold, I have never been offered bettle nut since that day. Oops. (or maybe not oops, since I think I want to sit that one out).


No comments:

Post a Comment