Sunday, June 14, 2015

39: Another Weekend on Pakin

 So the main reason Pahpa and I even came back from Pakin on Tuesday was the preparation for the Pakin Expo – everyone else stayed on Pakin, so we picked them up with the OFA boat (read: big boat) this weekend. 100% smooth sea on the way there, but somewhat choppy on the way back (still way more comfy than the little boat though).
 That day we went with OFA to monitor the oyster farm, mainly the spat collector (spat = juvenile oyster). This is what Happy Monitoring Julius looks like, happy despite it being cloudy/rainy.
 Lots of bivalves (junk from the perspective of an oyster farmer) but also one oyster on the spat collector, which is a basically a trash bag crunched and folded up in the right way and dangling from a string in about 3m depth. Oyster sperm floating around the lagoon loves to settle on those!
Underwater Merman with my new necklace and the spat collector string in the background. This was in the deep part of the lagoon (not the dark blue) where you mostly couldn’t see the bottom. A little freaky at first for me looking down. Maybe I’m a reef merman?
 We also monitored the seaweed farm, which was pretty damaged (read: all the seaweed dead) during the storm.
 When we reached the Painpwel (another islet) farm, I decided to swim back instead of taking the boat – a little exercise (maybe like 1k?) which included an encounter with a big stingray (wooo!)
 On Sunday I asked if they could take me out to the chanel that (only at high tide) leads out of the lagoon into the open ocean for some snorkeling. Yes, that is what the water looks like in the lagoon on a sunny day!
 More fish and more coral species than before – Idea from OFA says it’s the strong current of the chanel that makes corals grow healthy.
 I especially loved the many caves and dead-ends in the reef – it’s like a labyrinth!
 This little bugger is about the size of my pinky. Dunno if he counts as a moraine, I suspect not.
 Speaking of labyrinth, the maze corals are real!
 This is the channel at low tied (water going out). At first I was like “oh, I can just swim through the channel and have a look at the outer reef” – Pahpa said it’s too dangerous.
 
 Instead, he proposed we walk over the reef (!). I can’t believe I didn’t incur any cuts – partly thanks to my monofin socks, partly due to my Tai Chi balance training (I’m not kidding).
When we finally got across the reef, this is what it looked like. Pahpa was like “as long as we come back with one of those waves, we’ll be fine. I decided not to take that chance and go out another time (the thought of holding my monofin in my hands + trying not to keep my balance in the waves as I climb up the reef gave me second thoughts). Lesson learned: if you’re Pahpa says something is fine, you can still decide it’s too dangerous. Declining to jump in was way easier than telling them that I’m full and don’t need more food.

 Trying out a different  photo Style than the “rub my chin thinking” Style that Franson taught me.
 Franson found a bird with a broken wing. I think he likes birds, cause he was also fond of one of the chickens (they wanted to slaughter it, but he was like “no, I like it”).
 Meanwhile, while I was back in Pohnpei, they started building a local house. Apparently ist’s for me, and they’re calling it the Julius House.
 On our way through the channel back to Pohnpei (at high tide). This is not Moses, it’s Just Pahpa giving directions and punting occasionally.
Since Kodaro wasn’t in the group picture, here’s a picture of him during our trip back – he’s holding Jayheart underneath that towel. He’s making a face cause it’s a bumpy ride O.O   

No comments:

Post a Comment