Sunday, July 5, 2015

54: Eels and July 4

 In the morning, Kodaro took me to see the giant freshwater eels in the nearby creek. They are called kamwisek, and there are actually lots of cool magic stories behind them. For example, each clan has an animal (eel, shark, Kodaro’s clan has rays). A long time ago, the clans possessed the power to call upon their clan animals and control them. The eel clan is the only one that still retains that magic, so during a funeral of a clan member, eels apparently still come swimming up the river, possessed by the spirit of the deceased. Oh, and the eel clan members are the only ones who can pick up an eel (it’s super slippery) and not get bitten (everyone else gets bitten).


 Let me re-emphasize that they are giant. Thicker and longer than my arm. And they are super beautiful – I didn’t know they can “slither-swim” both forwards and backwards with equal grace!



 In the afternoon, the US embassy hosted a big July 4 celebration! Hot dogs and lemonade, and much more interesting: local dances from the outer islands of Pohnpei state! These were really amazing dancers from Pingelap, who did a very expressive, almost war-like dance.


Also, my allways-classy Nohno (in a local dress btw) and yours truly.
Stick dancers from Ngatik – reminded me a little of the Philippino martial art Eskrima, but this was clearly a dance.

1 comment:

  1. Hey. Add my mail makagan_nat@mail.ru, I will be glad to read the news of your blog

    ReplyDelete