Sunday, July 12, 2015

60: Pohnpei Birthday

On the morning of my 25 birthday, I slept in – hooray! – because Pahpa and I went drinking sakau really late the night before. We made a quick trip to Kolonia, where Nohno bought me a beautiful Pohnpei necklace made from ivory nut!

At 6pm-ish the festivities began – a combined Julius-birthday and Nohno’s-uncle-passed-away ceremony. With a traditional oven called uhm! Big fire + hot stones + meat + taro leaves to cover it + lots of time = uhm food!

And of course we had sakau – not just regular evening sakau drinking, but an actual sakau ceremony. As a guest of honor, I (for the first time) sat in the far left corner of the nahs building, next to the chief (red shirt) and his guard. Later the chief was switched with the clan head – it’s a long story, but it involves the north/south Mortlockese division, and also the fact while in Pohnpei chiefs are important, in Chuuk it’s the clans (though Pohnpei also has clans). Bottom line: more interesting conversations for me!

And yes, of course they slaughtered a pig, and also two dogs, which were baked in the uhm along with breadfruit (in the foreground). As chance would have it, few people actually ate any of the meat during the ceremony – it was mostly a doggy bag distribution. Thus, I remain a dog-meat-virgin (lord, that sounds messy), and had an unexpectedly vegetarian birthday dinner. Prayer works.

Then my host dad distributed the food: He held up different pieces and called out the traditional titles (slash, just my name in my case). I’m pretty sure when he called Nohno by her title (Nanchu-Pei) she was like “who now? Somebody grab that for me please.” – classic half-lidded Nohno.

Birthday boy with birthday sakau. Side note: I really want to take a coconut-shell bowl/cup home with me as a cereal bowl (the blasphemy, I know), but you can’t buy them anywhere, so I’m going to have to figure that out somehow.

Maneth got me an awesome Pohnpei T-Shirt (with a shark on the back). She was like “is it the right size? I noticed that you wear size S…” – I love her! Note the can of beer in the picture – you guessed it, not just sakau, but kapwohpwo.

In addition to my double-whammy mwaramwar (the wreath) which is not really traditional, but Chuuk style with the extra strips in the back, I also got a Chuuk hat, made from “local material” (rice bags) brought over from the Satawan choir.

And then we went clubbing to Flamingo! Just like in Germany, it doesn’t get busy until midnight, so we did lots of cruising around, buying beer, bottled sakau and snacks here and there, crashing the Mangrove Bay Hotel restaurant (byo snack was ok, byo sakau apparently not).
The music was amazing, they played Cheerleader (recently my favorite dance song) TWICE – shout out to Sameera, gurl, they were playin our song! And a really interesting mix between western music, Pohnpeian, and Chuukese songs!
Don’t ask me why Kotaro struck this pose, or why our relative from the Satawan choir who joined us has “girl” written on his cap.


When the night came to a close sometime at 3 or 4am, Carla revealed that in fact, Pahpa doesn’t usually allow them to go out. They had only been able to get Pahpa’s consent because it was my birthday. He told them not to drink too much, and to drink and drive safely O.O

No comments:

Post a Comment