Sunday, July 26, 2015

67: Pakin Again!

 Turns out this was not my last trip to Pakin, I’ll go again on Tuesday, spending almost all of my last week here on Pakin!


 The cast: Kirino, Kesdy, 2 interns (June and Meagan), and pictured: Selino and Manta Julie. Julie does super awesome work on manta rays (I would venture to say she is the world’s leading manta scientist, based on Guam, but she comes to Pohnpei a lot). Manta rays (unlike stingrays) don’t have a sting, are huge (up to 9 meters “wing” span), feed on plankton, and are really smart and curious. Julie is an amazing scientist, and a really thoughtful and interesting person. She is also the only scientist I’ve met here so far, who takes the time, patience, and sensitivity to engage with communities and has earned their respect. Also, she brought a whole box full of chips, woooo!



 Sunset over the atoll while we’re gathering hibiscus for sakau


 Nikahlap (main islet of Pakin), you are beautiful, and your beaches are even cleaner than last time (which was right after the storm).


 Superdooper calm weather, and Pohnpei in the background



Osetik islet, where I stayed last time. I dropped by and said hi to Paulino, Lukein and Kaneki and asked them if I could spend a night or two next time I come.


When I said calm weather, I meant it. Those islets in the background are uninhabited “picnic” islets.

 This is Pakin’s western tip – beyond the reef lies the open ocean!





 #TeamKate for life, because it’s thanks to her that I am here!


 Coconuts galore, and red bananas! I did not know red bananas existed! Delicious, of course. No, they’re not red on the inside.


 Chief Sonirek was on the island this time (he usually works on Pohnpei as a teacher). When I arrived, he was just in the process of getting his hair braided in a french-braid. He said he loves his people, because they obey him, comparing his power to that of Hitler and Musolini (making me cringe, but I know what he meant). Super cheerful and relaxed guy. Here’s a conversation snapshot:

Sonirek: [about people in Germany] “The people there are friendly?”
Me: [taking a breath and trying to figure out how (northern) Germans friendliness works, given that in comparison we initially come across as cold and reserved]
Sonirek: “Not like before?”
Me: [realizes he’s talking about WWII and the brutal German occupation of Pohnpei] “Yeah, very friendly, not like before.”
Also, this buffet was super awesome. They spice the breadfruit with muckmuck, a root that adds a flowery and well rounded flavor. Yum!


Kesdy and me during the community consultation. Right before the meeting, I found out that the last climate change awareness meeting went into a lot more detail than I thought, covering all kinds of climate science like El Niño effects etc. So we were able to dive into the actual typhoon preparedness details right away.

 And I successfully delivered my carefully rehearsed introduction and beginning of my presentation in Mortlockese. Now they think I’m way better than I am, expecting me to understand everything they say. Gah!




The interns: June (short for Junior) goes to an international private high school in Chuuk and is here over the summer. Meagan is in her first year of college studying marine science. There’s also an army of more summer interns who stayed at the office. CSP takes great care of their interns, and almost all of the current staff used to be volunteer interns at some point.







On our last day, Kesdy, June, Meagan and I toured around Nikahlap Islet so I could see the bad shape of the tarot patches (tarot is the only crop that can survive a typhoon and provide food security in the aftermath). Turns out the free roaming pigs like to eat tarot and are very good at breaking through fences.

No comments:

Post a Comment