Sunday, July 12, 2015

61: Euphemisms for Sakau Shwastedness




Kesdy: “Let’s go debrief” (after a community meeting)

Pahpa: “I’ve got to refresh my mind tonight” (I almost laughed out loud when he said that)

Sukusuk (Pohnpeian for “pounding” =  pounding the sakau roots = watching someone else pound them for you = get hammered)

In the CSP budget, sakau for community meetings appears as “refreshments” or “ritual ceremony” or “cultural offering” (in case someone reads it who has never been on Pohnpei and is ignorant enough to wonder why one would need to budget for sakau)


My favorite was yesterday in Kiti though, when Emilio pointed to the sakau bottle in front of me and said, I quote: “Julius, get yourself intoxicated!”

The pictures are just impressions from my home here: Jayheart likes to use long objects as makeshift guitars, in this case my snorkel.

 Local skirt laundry day!

Pohnpeians are not very fond of cats (they don't pet them, and usually just chase them out of the house), but I just think our two cats are super cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment