Thursday, July 9, 2015

59: Inauguration

 Today was inauguration of the new FSM president, and also two more congressmen! I swear there were more foreign dignitaries (ambassadors etc.) present than actual members of the FSM congress (there are only 14).
Also, interesting note: political leaders sat on one half of the stage, while traditional leaders sat on the other - making up 50% of the stage! Apparently all 5 Namwarkis (chiefs of the entire municipality = the highest chiefs) were gathered, which the president said is very rare.
 The choir from Satawan really pulled the sausage from the plate, as we say in German. Read: they were kick ass. Also, they kept on going through quite a downpour, snaps to them.
lots of different performers from different islands - the cultural diversity even within Micronesia is staggering! I have yet to ask my host parents where the different performers were from (chances are they aren't quite sure either).


 The outfits are made from the very young/fresh parts of coconut palm leaves - very swooshy! This was a stick performance, very rhythmic, and I was surprised they didn't poke each other to death.

 Don't ask me what the yellow powder on their skin is. Saffron? O.O
 The dancers from Pingelap (I think) who also performed on July 4 were back again, and this time I was able to take lots of pictures (and videos).
 interesting: only men danced, and only women drummed.
 It kind of had the intense feeling of a Maori haka from New Zealand, except with a lot more running.
 Yes, they were my favorite, that's why there's lots of pictures^^

The president's inaugural speech was very interesting to me. Very different from Obama's one (which is the only point of reference for me). A lot about FSM's past development, and the need to appreciate how far they've come and what they still need to do. Not very specific at all, actual issues were only mentioned in one sentence (climate change being the first on the list). And much, much more humble than Obama. The tone was more like "I'll give my best and that's all I can give, I won't make much of a difference, but I'll try." interesting.
Also, the president was Pohnpeian, and his deference to the traditional leaders on his right hand side was stunning to me (the other states don't have a traditional chief system like on Pohnpei). For example, when the MC said "ok, ceremony's over, the president and vice president will now open the buffet for refreshments," the president said "it's customary to let our guests go first. But first I must ask the traditional chiefs permission to speak on behalf of the people of Pohnpei in order to tell our guests to go first." The power of traditional chiefs is real. Everyone shows them a huge amount of respect, and what they say is done without hesitation or question. Kind of poetic to see those two parralel systems of law and authority reflected in the physical seating of the stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment