Sunday, July 5, 2015

55: An Ode to my Coworkers

I think it’s about time I explained how much I love my coworkers. I have yet to figure out some of their titles (shame on me), but here goes:

Kesdy/Sihp: my supervisor, and MPA coordinator. He rolls his “r” like nobody else, always stands up and paces around when he’s thinking, and prefers to let his tummy breathe at any chance he gets (either lifting the Tshirt in the front, or just go shirtless).

Eugene/Director/Soused: head of CSP. I have never caught him without a bettle nut in his mouth. He is the master mumbler and the most laid-back-yet-badass boss I have ever met.

Selino: marine program, he does lots of data collection. He always wears a cap, but takes it on and off when he’s thinking hard. A soft spoken and seemingly introverted guy, but one-on-one he is super chatty. Hence the Selino Says Series.

Kirino: our captain and navigator. Does he have a desk? I don’t know, he’s always moving. Super cheerful, and possibly the oldest member of the gang.

Francisca/Ponno: terrestrial program. Her laughter is the BEST in the office. She is also the one who makes sure I know when there’s common-area food to share.

Relio: plant identification and tour guide. Also always wears a cap (backwards), and carries a curious little pouch wherever he goes (ok, there’s bettle nut in there, but what else?) He has the most beaming eyes and smile I’ve ever seen, and always jumps in and out of the cubicles.

Valerie: Admin. Her English is flawless, as are her baseball skills (she became my mentor).

Bejay: Invasive species. The most muscular Pohnpeian I’ve met so far. To give you an idea how fierce he is at his job: he managed to eradicate pigeons (invasive) everywhere on the island except for U. That’s because pigeons carry diseases and like to s(h)it on roofs, where people collect their drinking water from. He is also (and I quote:) “fluent” in honorific Pohnpeian and an expert in traditional customs, so he leads most of the sakau ceremonies at community meetings, and is the CSP representative to the council of paramount chiefs.

Mary-Linda/Pohpo: Policy. She has a golden tooth and a twinkling smile that can only be described as cheeky. At the all staff meeting, it was clear that she has seen it all, and knows how to whip the people at CSP into shape for our annual board meeting.

Andrew: Education. Also flawless English, looks grumpy at first, but is super friendly. His choice of words is careful and deliberate, as is his swing with the baseball bat. If it’s not worth it to take a swing, he knows it and doesn’t.

Jason: Deputy Director (which means he writes grants). Somewhat loud and culturally clumsy, but very good hearted guy from Seattle, who did most of his work in the Ukraine (and then shit went down there).


Angel: Education. Every since he found out I speak a little Mortlockese, he always greets me in Mortlockese and cracks up. He is also the mascot-coordinator, meaning he explained to people during the July 4 celebration what the interns in the fish and bird costumes were doing and why it is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment