Sunday, July 26, 2015

69: The Legendary Peace Corps Volunteer

Sam did his 2 years of Peace Corps on Pakin + 1 year extension, and he is a legend. Every time people comment on my Mortlockese abilities, they mention that Sam’s Mortlockese was flawless. He actually studied linguistics, did his dissertation on Mortlockese and is still in contact with them.
So he came up again during a dinner conversation with me and Nohno (her last meal before she leaves for Chuuk). And now brace yourselves:

Nohno: “… but there’s one thing I don’t like about him. He likes those guys.”
Me: “Those guys?”
Nohno: “Maybe he also likes those girls, but he likes those guys to come and stay with him.”

So at this point I’m familiar enough with Pohnpeian culture to gather that Sam is gay, (or potentially bisexual, as Nohno points out). Two reactions:

A) How does Nohno know that? Is she the only one that knows? Did Sam come out? Who are those “other guys” she mentioned? I suspect that Sam might be the best source on homophobia in Pohnpei culture I could interview. I’ve been meaning to reach out to him for a while (to meet the Legend), and now I decided I definitely will.

B) Ouch, Nohno! It hurts, because I’ve grown very fond of her. Time to crawl into my room and listen to Sam Tsui.


FYI: Sam Tsui just became the impromptu inspiration for calling the legendary Peace Corps volunteer Sam. I decided not to use his real name to protect his privacy (because we all know this blog is going to go viral once I become the world’s most famous merman)

No comments:

Post a Comment