Tuesday, May 12, 2015

01: The Plan

Here's the idea:
I am going to the island of Pohnpei in the Federated States of Micronesia for 12 weeks this summer. A merman dream come true.

My work plan: work on a climate adaptation project on Pakin Atoll (the small island in the top left corner of the satellite image). The local NGO I'll be working for is the Conservation Society of Pohnpei (CSP).

My Language Plan: I know maybe 15 words and 3 little sentences in Pohnpeian. I have a dictionary and a grammar book with me. Lez do this. (English is one of their national languages though, so my work will be in English)

My living plan: live with a host family on Pohnpei (big roundish island on the satellite picture). I have no idea who they are, but they are going to pick me up from the airport, and I brought them gifts (maple syrup and maple candy), and apparently-island-appropriate-other-gifts (5 pounds of sugar and some hot sauce).

My Merplan: use my monofin, my new two single-fins, snorkel, underwater camera any chance I get, while not getting eaten by sharks (pako) or bitten by sea snakes (sinek) or stung by stingrays (likendinkep).

No comments:

Post a Comment