Thursday, May 14, 2015

07: Mother’s Day

Last night my host family invited me to join the mother’s day celebration, which was postponed from last week because of the storm. This was basically a party organized by women for women (all the way from girls to grandmas), with the men and boys just watching and applauding. There was a dance competition and also a Miss contest by color group (pink, red, yellow, green, white) based on who could raise the most money for women’s activities over two months. The one in green is my host dad’s sister Fanda – super beautiful and a great dress, in my opinion. Pink won though, and collectively the groups raised $4850. Pretty cool to watch from a gender perspective. That and the fact that by the end of the night, everyone was wearing an insane amount of glitter in their faces, no matter what gender. Oh, and of course there was lots of dancing (those hips are magic!), and singing.


Now it’s off to my first weekend (without internet btw) – my host family promised to take me swimming, so I’m trying not to hyperventilate with happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment