Sunday, May 17, 2015

10: Breadfruit Ceremony at Willy’s House

On Saturday I was invited to Willy’s house. Facts about Willy: 1) he’s the director of the Micronesia Conservation Trust, 2) formerly the director of CSP, 3) the man who made this internship happen for me, 4) super funny and giggles a lot. Right now is the beginning of the breadfruit season, so to kick the harvest off, every village has a ceremony around this time. Kesdy recommended I bring a bottle of wine for the chief, so I brought that and a #TeamKate shirt for Willy (I think I need to explain its significance to him at some point…).

Things I learned: Sakau is super sacred. Do NOT drop the cup. Consequences are unclear, but I’m not trynna get kicked off the island. Therefore the cup is never put down during the ceremony, and there are several ritual ways to hold and pass the cup to ensure nobody drops it, especially for receiving it from and handing it to the chief. Also, close your eyes while drinking, which I didn’t do on Friday (oops). Consequences may include running risk of spontaneously becoming blind (fingers crossed).

This was the first time I saw sakau being prepared, and I could watch for hours, so bear with me while I indulge. During the official sakau ceremony (the first 4 cups) everyone is pretty much silent, and it is amazing to see with how much care and detail the men make the sakau. They pound the sakau roots on a large rock table, squeeze it through hibiscus bark fibres, and capture it in a carved coconut shell. For the hibiscus, they peel away the bark into thin strings, discard the outer bark, and then tie the strings together in a not on one end. Then they put the sakau mush onto the bed of hibiscus bark, very much like preparing a burrito, and then they twist the bark to wring out the sakau juice.

Now here’s the fascinating part: they repeatedly comb through the fibres with their hands, almost as gentle as my older sister Louisa combing through her hair. They also look for “split ends” and remove those. The filling of the burrito is also done super carefully in a geometric and asymmetric wedge, and whenever they find a piece of sakau root that isn’t quite pounded small enough, they take it out for subsequent re-pounding. Then there’s a lot of careful smoothing out before they actually twist it and wring it out. Then meticulously comb out the dry-ish sakau mush and repeat.

First times:
1) first time chewing sugarcane (it broke during the storm so we ate it even though it was not quite ready)
2) Manila Bananas (best banana I’ve tasted EVER), sweet and tiny, and amazingly ripe.

3) first time outside of Sokehs and Kolonia, Willy lives in the municipality called U.

No comments:

Post a Comment