Sunday, May 17, 2015

12: My First Community Consultation





 Almost all the work that CSP is doing is together with local communities, and I’ve read these terms “community engagement” and “community leaders” so many times, but never actually saw that process happen. Now I did! Kesdy and I went to the municipality of Madolenihmw (maybe a 40min drive) where the community and CSP are in the process of establishing a Mangrove Marine Protected Area (MPA). Of course it was in Pohnpeian, so I understood 0% of the verbal communication, and paid attention to the nonverbal dynamics, atmosphere, and spirit, but scribbled a lot of new vocab in my little notebook. Kesdy will brief me about the content later today…

Trip to Madolenihmw: A view from the gas station – the white waves in the distance is the barrier reef surrounding Pohnpei.
From left to right: Eugene (head of CSP) sitting, Kesdy (marine team, my supervisor), and Jorg (also part of the marine team), and then the community leaders of Madolenihmw. Of course taken in a nahs next to a small shop that sold ice-cold water (literally partially frozen). 
After the meeting we “debriefed” at a local sakau bar, where they also served us free food (banana, fish soup, fish sashimi – parrot fish is tasty!). We were sitting beneath an “apple” tree (the one with pink flowers), surrounded by coconut trees, banana trees, breadfruit trees, and mountains in the distance! 

1 comment:

  1. Brother, I really like your blog. I'm not sure how I didn't know you have this going on. Hope everything is fine w/ you. Visit us soon!

    ReplyDelete