Sunday, May 17, 2015

11: Respect

If you ask me, one of the most difficult things about navigating different cultures is learning how to be respectful in that culture, how to earn peoples respect, and realizing how they show respect towards you.

Apparently, I did something right, because at the breadfruit ceremony, the chief gifted a sakau tree (uprooted) to me (meaning my host family). So we tied it to the roof of Kesdy’s car with hibiscus bark (it’s like rope, it’s also the traditional material for fishing nets) and brought it home for consumption tonight. Kesdy (head of the marine program at CSP and my supervisor) explained to me that this was a very welcoming gesture of the chief (maybe he liked the wine?), meaning something along the lines of accepting me as part of the community. He said I started on the path of earning respect by being quiet, listening, and waiting for the right time to ask questions. I think it’s just my personality to turn to chameleon-and-listening-mode in unfamiliar settings, so I’m very relieved that that seems to be compatible with Pohnpeian culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment