Sunday, May 24, 2015

25: Coconut Monkey

 So while we were up on the ridge, Jonny (next to me in the group picture) asks me “hey, do you want to drink some coconut?” and I was like “haha, sure, all we need to do is climb that insanely tall palm tree.” Thinking that since we didn’t bring any climbing tools, they must be joking. Oh Julius. Lecher (pronounced like leisure except with a “ch”) just up and climbed this palm tree in no time (I took a video, it’s insane), threw down some coconuts, hacked them into shape with the machete (!) and voila. In fact, all of the “boys” said they could climb it no problem.
 Pohnpeian style there was lots of silence, so you might think they didn’t much care for me, but note how Lecher cut the coconut so it would be easier for me to drink.
 Who needs a spoon? With the right swing of the machete, a spoon is made in no time.
Maybe I should not have worn a tank top (but it was so hot!). SPF 50 and 70 did not quite do the job – though I’m not sure exactly how sunburnt my shoulderblades are, cause I don’t have a mirror. Ever tried to take selfies of your back with your phone? I gave up after like 10 tries.


Also, just to clarify: there are no monkeys on Pohnpei.

No comments:

Post a Comment