Sunday, May 24, 2015

24: Hiking Sokehs Ridge

 My host dad arranged for “the boys” (his nephews) to take me up to Sokehs ridge on Sunday. Absolutely amazing! This is on top of the ridge where the radio towers are (they fixed them btw, so now we can radio/walkie talkie Pakin, yay!). There are also some WWII artillery stations there (the Japanese enslaved the people of Sokehs to carry the made-in-Germany Guns up there and crammed them into a prison up there, very nasty). And amazing views of the bays, you can even see Pakin from up there! I really need to get a stylish-photo-gesture of my own, don’t I…

 Sokehs Rock – apparently you can climb it, but it sounds rather dangerous O.O

 The airport landing strip – it goes from shore to shore of that island…

 Beautiful mangroves!

 The bright strip of sand on the other side of the bay is Niko, a kind of bathing resort that we might visit soon (it costs a fee per person, so my host family is a little hesitant – let’s see if I can convince them to let me pay for them.


 So there’s a legend about this pointy mountain. It’s a pile of chicken poop from a giant chicken. When a paramount chief in Madolenihmw was exploiting the villagers, the giant chicken was not having it, so it flew over and with decapitated the chief with a single kick. Bam.



No comments:

Post a Comment