Wednesday, May 13, 2015

05: The first 24h on Pohnpei

What I’ve done so far:

1) received a mwaramwara upon arrival (a flower wreath for your head, I’ll add a picture of it to this post at some point) from my host mom Purli and my host dad Mike.

2) eaten tuna sashimi local-style (superdooper fresh, including skin, made with salt, soy sauce and lime juice), and just now reef fish sashimi (the one I got was one of those blue+yellow colored ones). Fun fact: my co-workers from CSP made the reef fish sashimi themselves, because they did a market survey where they sampled the fish market and determined the ages+maturity of the fish. You only need one particular organ of the fish to do that, so the rest is delicious statistical reef fish sashimi.

3) Learned my first Chuukese word from my host dad’s 2-year-old grandson J-heart (that’s now how you spell his name for sure, but that’s how I spell it in my head). He’s a super cute diaper-dude and all he can say is “Alem” which means hello/good in Chuukese). My host family is actually trilingual (Chuukese, Pohnpeian, English)

4) eaten breadfruit (super delicious), taro (little crumbly/dry but very good), fresh coconut (my host mom is a badass coconut decapitator)

5) took a nap at 4pm and woke up at 5am to the call of our rooster

6) showered by “candlelight” (LED torch) because the power was briefly out again.

7) met most of my coworkers on my first day of work – they are super cool, all speak very good English and are very badass at what they do!

8) watched a tele-drama with J-heart, my host sister and two host nieces this morning. I think it was from the Philippines, but I’m not sure, they kept switching between English, Spanish and something else. It had all the good stuff, drama in court, love, coma, memory loss, deceitful parents…

Highlights:
I have never heard rain as heavy as I did last night. Super cozy.
The CSP office has air-conditioning #unexpectedwin.
My host family’s house is surrounded by banana trees, taro plants, breadfruit trees, coconut trees and mangroves (pictures will follow soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment