Tuesday, May 26, 2015

29: Local Food Dinner Table

Last night we had a bunch of different things on the table, so I thought I’d take a picture. We have, roughly from left to right:

1) Fried reef fish: I don’t know the one on the left (was good though), the one on the right is parrot fish – I’ve come to like that one the best, cause it’s quite meaty, and easy to eat in terms of finding fish bones. It’s also usually bright blue/turquoise! Most of the reef fish is caught by spearfishing, so when you see them in the market, you can see a spear wound in each fish O.O

2) Above the fish: cooked breadfruit.

3) next to the breadfruit: pilolo. It looks like gooey brownies the color of raw steak, but that’s because they added red food coloring. It’s basically mashed bananas and sometimes a bit of taro. Very tasty. It’s cooked or baked in banana or taro leaves, which you can see on the plastic bag above it. In the plastic bag are akadan bananas, but they were not ripe yet.

4) next to the pilolo we have soup. Ramen based with I think canned mackerel, it’s what Nohno cooks when she doesn’t have much time.

5) above the soup: cooked bananas (probably utin lihli bananas) and cooked taro wedges

6) the coconut! Nohno bought them in the market the day before and put them in the fridge, so refreshing!

7) Also, note that next to the peanut butter on the top left, there is an almost empty hot sauce – that was one of my host gifts (tip from Jessica and Sameera from GLISPA), I’m so happy they like it!


8) I’ve resorted to using both my hands and a fork – it’s easier for me to break apart breadfruit and taro with the fork, or serve myself fish with a fork instead of my hands, but maybe by the end of the summer I’ll be 100% hands on^^

No comments:

Post a Comment