Tuesday, May 19, 2015

16: The Tree Chicken

 So I look out of my window at 7pm, trying to find out which bird species that is in the tree… and it’s our family rooster. I have never seen a chicken in a tree. Host family intel: all of the chicken fly (!) in to the trees in the evening and then sleep there, they don’t have a chicken coop. In fact, every thing is just free range all around you. The fruit on the trees don’t have to be cultivated, just picked, the chicken are everywhere (and need to be fed), cats roam around (and are seldom fed. They catch lizards. I’ve seen it happen. Maybe I can train them to catch the flying roaches o.o), and dogs roam around (also seldom fed. Instead, people eat the dogs – my host dad promised to make dog meat for me in a traditional oven called uhm). Now I know what it means to be surrounded by your livelihood – Pahpa says they only buy half of the food, the other half comes from their “backyard.”

 On that note, here are some pictures from my bedroom window!

No comments:

Post a Comment