Monday, May 25, 2015

26: My Spider Friends

I actually hate the “the enemy of your enemy is your friend” saying, it’s so Cold War era and paints the world in black in white. However. Spiders are awesome. I saw that on our porch they have strategic spider webs placed around the light bulbs – they should do a collaborative knowledge-sharing workshop with German spider. For while there are mosquitos around, they are few in number, and I’m attributing that to spiders and other predators (among other things).
Also, I share my room with several spiders, a particularly large one has taken up residence behind my suitcase (I think it’s a running/jumping spider, cause it doesn’t have a web). I’ve named him/her Terry, and we have non-legally binding agreement that I won’t kill her under the condition that 1) she doesn’t crawl over any part of my body during the night, especially not my face, and 2) she kills any mosquitos and other annoying insects in my room.

Problem definition: I need to be able to sleep peacefully at night.

Enforcement of this agreement: none. I’m counting on self-interested incentives on her part, limited by my spider-squatting abilities.

Stakeholder engagement: the mosquito delegation was not invited.

Monitoring: Difficult to impossible. I haven’t found any spider footprints on my face. I also don’t have a mirror, though.

Effectiveness Evaluation: I had to kill two mosquitos myself today, so there’s room for improvement, but I’m not complaining.

Overall Stakes: moderate to high.


Potential Future Barriers: If she ever sets foot in my suitcase, we’ll have to re-negotiate.

No comments:

Post a Comment