Wednesday, May 27, 2015

31: Hiking with the Expats

Yesterday I went up to Sokehs Ridge again, this time not with locals, but with some other expatriates that I met the second week – two Germans (I’m currently German #6 on the island), an Oregonian, and a Kiwi. Lots of hydration required, cause their pace was less sightseeing and more exercise.


Oh, and I went to the local sakau spot again with my Pahpa. He got super sakau (the word they use for #drunkbysakau), so it took him a solid half hour from making the decision to go home, until he actually had his wits about to stand up. I spent most of the evening talking to a village elder about climate change and other changes (in diet, infrastructure etc.) that have been happening over the years. And I met the major (of what exactly I don’t know) and was apparently was able to impress him with my Mortlockese introduction phrases. Woot woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment